Cam Thomas has emerged as one of the Brooklyn Nets’ brightest stars, but his future with the franchise remains uncertain. The LSU product is set to enter restricted free agency this offseason, meaning the Nets will need to match any competing offers to retain him.
Thomas delivered an impressive campaign, averaging a team-high 24 points on 43.8 percent shooting, along with 3.3 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 31.2 minutes per game. However, injuries have been a recurring issue, as he has never played more than 67 games in a season. The Nets announced on Saturday that a hamstring strain will sideline him for the remainder of the 2024-25 season, limiting his year to just 25 games.
Following the news, Thomas spoke about his future, as reported by ClutchPoints’ Erik Slater.
“I was drafted here so you have a connection… I’m gonna let my agents and the front office discuss that out,” Thomas said. “We should be good, though. I’m very confident and happy to be back, if I am back. So we’ll see.”
The 2021 No. 27 overall pick had a breakout season last year, averaging 22.5 points on 44.2 percent shooting. He believes he can be a core piece for Brooklyn moving forward.
“Yeah, of course. When I got major minutes, I feel like I’ve been one of the best guards in the league…” Thomas said. “When I do have the minutes in a featured role, the sky’s the limit for me.”
With Thomas sidelined, Cameron Johnson (19.1 PPG) will take on a leading role for the Nets (23-45) for the rest of the season.